Friday, June 1, 2012

David's 1st Grade Tour

 I volunteered in David's classroom on Friday morning.  I arrived just as they were visiting one of the first grade classrooms.  Each first grader gave a tour to a kindergartener.  David's friend Thomas showed him around the classroom.
 Thomas showed David the kind of desk he will have next year.  This year they share tables.
 The teacher asked the 1st graders if there was anything else she should share with the Kindergarteners. One little boy raised his hand and explained the discipline chart to the Kindergarteners.  They move through lights (green, yellow and red) if the teacher has to warn them about something more than once during the day.  Yellow loses 5 minutes or recess, red loses 10 minutes of recess and a note home and anything beyond that gets you a trip to the principles office.  The room was quiet for this information.  
After the tour we went back to the kindergarten classroom and I helped with centers.  This day was particularly embarrassing for me.  The little girl at my table handed me the pencil box and said "I think there's a spider in there."  I looked inside and sure enough there was a spider, so my natural reaction was to scream and jump 6 feet back from the table.  Not good with a room full of 5-6 year olds.  Everyone got up.  The student teacher and I disposed of the pencils and the spider in the sink and I squished him with a tissue.  I asked David if he was embarrassed.  He said "no, it was funny".

No comments: